Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Shawn & Maddie

Shawn and Maddie at the 2014 BBIN Black & White Ball
We could share countless stories of friendships that have been made in our programs throughout the state of Indiana. Many times, these friendships begin when two people are matched in a friendship. However, sometimes there are special friendships that develop outside of a one-to-one friendship. 

Shawn and Maddie have one of these friendships. Members of the Purdue Best Buddies chapter, the pair has never officially been matched, but have developed a strong friendship and partnership as leaders in their chapter.

As she graduates this month, Shawn wanted to honor Maddie by telling everyone about what her friendship means to him.

What does Best Buddies mean to you?
It gives me hope, Best Buddies does. That there can be a better world for this generation. Best Buddies means true friendships.

What's your favorite thing about Maddie?
Her passion to help others

What do you and Maddie like to together?
We don't really hang out much, but when we do, just being around her makes me happy. She pushes me hard and is my biggest fan, but holds me accountable when I need it.

How has Best Buddies and your friendship changed your life?
It gives me a reason to believe in my self and others again. It gives me a reason to smile again.

Why do you think others should join Best Buddies?
So they can be a part of an amazing program like Best Buddies that promotes acceptance and inclusion for everyone, because that's really what all of us want.

Lauren Wendling, college program manager for BBIN, said about the pair, "Shawn and Maddie are a true representation of Best Buddies.  They have a very natural friendship and support each other in all aspects of their lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment